The third oldest American school in Mexico, The American School of Tampico has a long tradition of excellence and growth. ATS opened its doors on May 12, 1917 and has been operating successfully ever since.
The school was created by the American Foundation with the purpose of offering American children and the children of all other nationalities the same study plan found in schools in the United States.
As the school continued to grow, it became necessary to add new facilities. A new building was planned and soon construction allowed dreams to become reality. The First Grades and Kindergarten now occupied a beautiful modern building with classrooms that met all the requirements of the modern school.
The original building, located on Torreon Street in Tampico, Tamaulipas, México, was a two-story stone structure consisting of ample classrooms, lounges, offices, and a recreational room.
In the spring of 1956, an adjoining lot and wooden building were added. For many years, this new building housed Kindergarten and First Grade classrooms.
The 1970s brought continued growth to the American School of Tampico. More classrooms were added to meet the demands of a growing population. The school grew from a one section per grade level to two. New growth made it imperative to add another new wing to the building. Classrooms were designed and planned to meet the needs of the era.
The aim of the school was, and still is, to give students an education in both English and Spanish. This is accomplished by offering a well-planned program that meets the requirements of the Mexican Department of Education and schools in the United States. The curriculum consists of traditional academic subjects in addition to the incorporation of such ideas as citizenship, patriotism, goal setting and achieving, and character development. The school that began with a student population of approximately 50 American, British and Dutch children and 18-20 Mexican children was now on its way to 200 students and continued rapid growth in the early 1970´s.
In the 1980´s, the American School of Tampico joined the Association of American Schools in Mexico (ASOMEX). Membership in ASOMEX carried certain demands such as improved sports facilities and addition of science laboratories.
The Board of Directors also wanted the school to join the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS.) After data was gathered, experts' advice was heard and months of hard work, the process of receiving SACS accreditation was completed. As in previous decades, ATS continued to grow!
Continued growth led to the realization that the original site of the American School of Tampico would not sufficiently meet demands for the future. Locations were scouted and eventually a site in Colonia Tancol was chosen to become the new home for ATS.
The Tancol Campus was planned, designed and constructed thanks to men and women of vision; men and women who were not afraid to dream and believe. The 15-hectare lot contains inclined slopes, which includes a Huastecan burial ground (containing seven burial mounds), making the property not only a unique school location but also one that everyone can take pride in holding in custody as an important archeological site.
ATS Tancol Campus possesses one of the most beautiful tropical gardens in the country; containing a wide variety of plants. These gardens not only beautify our campus and give visitors an incredible view but also enhance and encourage the possibility of outdoor classes. Additionally, buildings were designed with an eye towards integration with the gardens but also retaining a sense of traditional Mexican architecture.
Among the building highlights is the Fleishman Library. The setting overlooks the campus giving the room quite a view! The library continues to improve by acquiring new books and staying updated with the latest technology. It also serves as media and resource center, is one of the most popular and visited places by students.
In addition to the Fleishman Library, state of the art technology is found in our science lab allowing students to experiment and research with electric microscopes and equipped lab tables. Our computer labs are equipped with computers and software offering the best of modern technology.
The fully equipped and conveniently functional art room provides students possibilities to create and express themselves. Additionally, two music rooms form part of our campus giving students an opportunity to complete a well-rounded education. Pre-K and Kinder classrooms, the Elementary and Jr. High Buildings together with the Counselor's and Principal's Offices form the Campus's backbone.
In the year 2000 was added the first floor of the new junior high school structure known as the Anderson Building. Although new plans have subsequently changed, it was originally designed to hold 10 fully equipped classrooms, restrooms and offices.
Student comfort was a high priority in 2001 when the Special Events Committee organized the addition of a roof to the Basketball and Volleyball courts. In addition to providing a more inviting area to conduct athletic events, these covered courts also helped the school continue receiving accreditation from SACS.
A sad event brought further beauty to the campus in 2004 with the construction of the Butterfly Garden. The garden was constructed in memory of Julie Parce Cox who was instrumental in designing the gardens of ATS Tancol Campus. The Gardens Committee's design and completion of the Butterfly Garden helped complete Julie's vision.
The year 2003 saw continued growth of the ATS Tancol Campus particularly in the school's Pre-School program. Construction began on the Early Childhood Building that holds six classrooms, Early Childhood Administrative Offices, a Multi-purpose Room and Kitchen Lab
Achievement of an important academic milestone occurred in 2005 with the incorporation of the Early Childhood program into the Secretaría de Educación Pública. This acceptance formalized the Early Childhood program continuing the school's mission statement of incorporating both Mexican and U.S. standards in our education.
In 2006, ATS became a member of the Character Counts!™ coalition. This world-wide coalition works to instill basic values in students. This is seen as an important step in the development of not only an academically but a morally strong student population.
As our school community continues to grow one can only expect more change to accommodate the vision first began in 1917. From a humble beginning of approximately 70 students, the school has grown to include a population of 1020 students, 600 families and 200 staff members.
The final steps towards a total academic vision begun in 2006 with construction leading to the completion of the Anderson Building. Now completed, this new building houses the entire High School program.
Today, The American School of Tampico is proud to salute its storied past while embracing a rich future.
Use your teacher or student's username and password to log in. If you are a parent you must use your child's username and password in order to log in. You may request an account & password by sending an e-mail to our Technology Department or calling to the administration office.